Climate Action Plan Report Card 2016
Climate Action Campaign unveiled the inaugural edition of our annual Climate Plan Report Card, which grades the Climate Action Plan, or lack thereof, of all 19 San Diego municipalities in the region. Only the City of San Diego—who received national accolades when it adopted a binding 100% clean energy Climate Plan last year—earned the coveted Gold designation. Zero cities earned a Silver grade, while Del Mar, San Marcos and Carlsbad all took home the Bronze designation for their Climate Action Plans. Download the full 2016 Report Card here.
REPORT - A New Climate for Transportation - 2015 Co-Authored by Climate Action Campaign and Circulate San Diego
This report reveals this disparity between the goals of the City of San Diego's Climate Action Plan and the long-term transportation funding plan of SANDAG, our regional transportation agency. San Diego’s CAP aims to empower 50% of residents in urban areas near transit stops to commute by transit, walking, and bicycling by 2035. By contrast, SANDAG’s Regional Plan puts the City on a path to achieve only 15% of commutes on alternative transit in the same area. Or, put another way, the City’s goals are over three-times greater than SANDAG’s. Our report calls on the region to work together to close the gap. Download the report here.
State Policies & Legislation - Comment Letters
CARB 2030 Scoping Plan - April 10, 2017 - Climate Action Campaign submitted comments urging more stringent requirements for local governments to reduce GHG emissions with targets tailored for each locality. Read CAC's 4/10/17 Comment Letter on CARB's Scoping Plan.
AB 805 - SANDAG Accountability and San Diego-Area Transportation Reform - April 7, 2017 - CAC Support Letter. Read CAC's Support Letter for AB805 (April 7, 2017)
CARB 2030 Scoping Plan - January 27, 2017 - CAC and the San Diego Quality of Life Coalition submitted recommendations to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) Draft SB 32 Scoping Plan - the state's plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030. See our group letter here: Quality of Life Coalition Letter re CARB 2030 Targets 01-27-17
CARB 2030 Scoping Plan -December 16, 2016 - CAC, ClimatePlan, and allies submitted comments on the California Air Resources Board (CARB) Draft SB 32 Scoping Plan - the state's plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030. Among other strategies, we advocated for a requirement for certain cities to have comprehensive Climate Action Plans. See our group letter here: CARB Final Comment Letter discussion draft 2030 scoping plan 12-16-16
SB 32 (Pavley) - Global Warming Solutions Act- July 27, 2016 - CAC urged the Assembly Appropriations Committee to support SB 32 (Pavley), which will preserve and expand California’s leadership in combatting climate change by providing a much needed follow up to the landmark Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (AB 32). By setting a new statewide target to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to 40% below 1990 levels by 2030, approval of SB 32 provides the necessary next step to stabilize our climate, foster a clean energy economy, improve air quality and protect the health and quality of life of all Californians for generations to come. Read CAC's Support Letter for SB 32 (7-27-16) here.
Community Choice Energy - Comment Letters
Climate Action Campaign letter to the County Board of Supervisors (2-10-17) supporting moving forward with a Community Choice Energy Feasibility Study as part of the County's Renewable Energy Plan, and to help implement the forthcoming Climate Action Plan.
Climate Action Campaign and Sierra Club Comments (7-5-16) on the California Public Utilities Commission Draft Decision to Approve SDG&E's Plan for Unlimited Lobbying and Marketing Against Community Choice Energy
Climate Action Campaign and Sierra Club Letter (12-10-15) to the California Public Utilities Commission Protesting SDG&E's Plan for Unlimited Lobbying and Marketing Against Community Choice Energy
Climate Action Plans - Comment Letters
CAC Letter with Chula Vista CAP Recommendations 4-14-17
CAC Letter Supporting Del Mar's CAP (6-2-16)
CAC Letter to Santee (Oct 2015) on its Climate Action Plan
CAC Letter to La Mesa (June 2015) on its Climate Action Plan
SANDAG / Transportation
CAC's Support Letter for AB805 (April 7, 2017) to reform San Diego area transportation and create accountability at SANDAG
CAC's October 2015 letter to SANDAG opposing its Regional Transportation Plan
Community Plan Updates - Comment Letters
Northpark, Uptown, Golden Hill, and San Ysidro Community Plan Updates:
- Climate Action Campaign, San Diego Bike Coalition, the Coastal Environmental Rights Foundation, Sierra Club San Diego, SanDiego350, Citizen's Climate Lobby, Joe LaCava, Dr. Bruce Bekkar, and Dr. Lester Machado submitted a Group Letter to the City of San Diego's Smart Growth and Land Use Committee (10/04/16) regarding North Park and Golden Hill CPUs failing to meet the City's Climate Action Plan goals.
- Coast Law Group submitted comments on behalf of Climate Action Campaign on the Environmental Impact reports for Northpark, Uptown, Golden Hill, and San Ysidro Community Plan Updates, which fail to comply with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) with respect to greenhouse gases (GHGs).
San Diego CAP Draft Consistency Criteria for Community Plan Updates:
- Climate Action Campaign, Sustainability Matters, the Coastal Environmental Rights Foundation, StayCool4 for Grandkids, Dr. Bruce Bekkar, Joe LaCava, Jay Powell, and Gabriele Schubert jointly submitted this Group Letter to the Community Planners Committee (May 2016), asking for quantitative metrics and GHG models.
San Ysidro Community Plan Update:
- Read CLG's and CAC's CPU Comment Letter (7-8-16) here on the San Ysidro, Northpark, Uptown, and Golden Hill CPU EIRs.
- CAC Scoping Letter on the San Ysidro Community Plan Update (Dec 2015) urging that the Plan and PEIR support and be made consistent with the goals of state climate laws and the City's Climate Action Plan.
Midway and Old Town Community Plan Updates:
- CAC Scoping Letter on the Midway & OldTown CPUs (Dec 2015) urging that the Plan and PEIR support and be made consistent with the goals of state climate laws and the City's Climate Action Plan.
Zero Waste - Comment Letters
County of San Diego - Strategic Plan to Reduce Waste
- December 6, 2016 - CAC submitted comments on the County's draft Strategic Plan to Reduce Waste. Read CAC's County Waste Plan letter here.
San Diego Bag Ordinance - Group Support Letter (May 2016)
- May 9, 2016 - Climate Action Campaign signed onto a coalition letter supporting the City of San Diego's bag ordinance and commenting on the Recirculated Draft Environmental Impact Report. Read the letter here: Bag Ban - Coalition Comments on SD Recirculated DEIR 5-9-16
Oceanside - CAC Landfill and Waste Letters
- August 9, 2016 - CAC's Letter of Support for Oceanside's Plastic Bag Ban (approved 3-2 on 8/10/16).
- October 21, 2015 - Climate Action Campaign urged the Oceanside City Council to oppose the Gregory Canyon Landfill and support implementing a Single-Use, Carry Out Bag ordinance. Read CAC's Letter to Oceanside (10-21-15)
City of San Diego FY18 Budget - CAC, San Diego County Bicycle Coalition, BikeSD, Circulate San Diego group letter to the San Diego City Council with recommendations to fund implementation of the City's Climate Action Plan, Downtown Mobility Plan, and Vision Zero in the City's FY17-18 Budget. Submitted 1/13/17. Download the letter here: FY2018 Budget Request_Climate Action Plan_VisionZero
Puente Power Plant Letter to Governor Brown - March 16, 2016
March 16, 2016 - Twenty One organizations wrote Governor Brown express our strong support for the California Public Utility Commission’s proposed decision to suspend review of the proposed contract for the Puente gas plant and to request the Commission require Southern California Edison (“SCE”) to identify clean energy solutions to meet local capacity needs. Read the full letter here.